California Construction Litigation Attorneys
Whether you’re involved in a simple home remodel or complex commercial construction, disputes can cost you time and money, rob you of the enjoyment of your property, and seriously threaten your business. Harrelson & Associates helps clients who are mired in controversy get relief and move their projects forward. We represent clients involved in all aspects of construction, including homeowners, homeowner associations, businesses, general contractors, subcontractors, developers, lenders, bond and surety companies, design professionals, and suppliers of materials. We negotiate, arbitrate, mediate and litigate cases arising from:
- Breach of contract
- Contract interpretation and development including express indemnification provisions & insurance and bonding requirement assessments
- Construction bond claims
- Construction defect
- Home improvement
- Mechanic’s liens and material liens
- New construction including custom homes, subdivision homes, attached residential projects and commercial construction
- The Right to Repair Act process (SB800)
- Subcontractor performance
Thorough investigation by knowledgeable professionals
Establishing fault or breach of contract in construction cases often requires specialized knowledge of industry practices and standards. Our team includes qualified experts commonly used in construction defect cases, including general contractors, structural engineers, soil engineers, geotechnical engineers, statisticians and architects. We employ consultants/experts who use state-of-the-art diagnostics and analyses to fortify your case.
Mediation and arbitration services
Often parties can avoid expense and delay by mediating construction related disputes including disputes concerning provisions in construction contracts. Moreover, many construction contracts have clauses that require non-binding or binding mediation and arbitration to resolve disputes. Our attorneys have experience representing parties at arbitration and mediation proceedings. We often negotiate lasting solutions that save our clients time and money and allow them to get their projects back on track.
Fair and just compensation
If you have been harmed by a construction defect or a contractor or subcontractor’s failure to perform, you are entitled to reasonable compensation covering:
- Actual damages, including the past and future costs of repairing and restoring your damaged property, and any contents damaged due to the defect (such as water damage caused by faulty plumbing)
- Compensation for the loss of the use and enjoyment of your property, including inconvenience, aggravation, and discomfort
- Compensation for appraisal fees, storage charges and cleaning costs incurred
- Compensation for the reasonable cost of rental of similar property during periods when your property could not be used
- Under limited circumstances, exemplary or punitive damages, intended to punish a defendant and deter particularly malicious or reckless conduct in the future
- Interest on your damages as permitted by law
- Attorney fees and costs if provided for in your contract
Likewise, if you are contractors who have provide labor and materials and have experienced an owner’s failure to pay for those services and materials, you may be entitled to seek payment for those services and materials including all of your costs and attorney fees provided that you have included those expenses in your contract.
Contact a Burlingame, California construction litigation law firm today
Every moment of delay is costing you money. To assert your rights in your construction dispute, call Harrelson & Associates at 650-373-3300 or contact us online. We help individuals and businesses resolve construction disputes.